July 2011: Prep for Transport


    We bought the boat! After many rounds of negotiating and budgets of time and money for repair we have sealed the deal. We have decided to pull her out of the water and bring her to Portland so that we can attack the major issues near the shop and out of the water. Then when we splash her again we can get to work with sailing and not have her apart all the time.


    Bruno is always glad to lend a hand with boat projects. There will be many, many trips back up the ramp with this cart today. We intend to strip the rig of everything but the lower stays and remove enough hardware to make her short enough to transport via truck. We're also going to square away the battery charging and disconnect most of the AC system and propane plumbing, which had some scary bits we discovered during the survey.


    Getting to work on the rig. First we'll remove the sails and get them packed up and then start the labeling of every wire in the rig so we'll know where they go when we put her back again in a year or two.


    Bruno is a master of comfort in any environment. At this point we've packed up the lifelines and most of the sails and are starting to take apart the rig from fwd-aft.


    Last task of the day, to remove the bowsprit. This solid wood spar weighs nearly 200lbs and took some contriving to remove but came off without a hitch at about 11pm. We waited until the tide was up to carry it up the ramp, which this far north is nearly level at high tide and nearly 30 degrees at low tide.


    Sending the last pieces of the main rig down. The attach hardware is kept with each piece and Rachel is keeping track of the order and location of everything in a log book. To even get up here safely we had to splice and send up a new halyard from which I felt comfortable hanging from.


    Quite a pile! This is all the rigging and equipment we have removed in the past 24 hours. We're nearly done, then will be charged with the task of getting it all home in the truck.


    Clean as a whistle! She's ready to get hauled next week and is Portland bound.


    Bruno absolutely loved to sit in this spot and watch the world go by. He is much cuter than the bowsprit but far less functional. He'll have to move over when it comes time to sail again.






    Beautiful girl and a a cute little dog coming towards me. I'm helpless.


    This monstrosity was seen driving down I-5 for about 200 miles. She's been a good truck, and unfortunately this was probably her last big hurrah.


    The bowsprit will cool its heels out behind the garage for awhile until we get things going on the boat herself. This whole thing attaches with two bolts at the heel, one transverse and one vertical. The rest floats and is positioned by stay tension around the cranse iron. Compression is resisted by the enormous tenon shoulders against the samson posts.


    Fast forward four days. Back up to Port Orchard for one last night on the water before the haulout. It was a beautiful night to be out and nice to spend the evening with everything cleaned up down below.


    Rigging up to pull the mainmast. We had four pins to pull and she was out! No job ever suffers from a good amount of prep work.


    Pulling the mizzenmast. This went even more quickly. You can see a CT41 out for some work on the left of the frame.


    Next we back up the truck and get the pads in place...


    The the truck lifts her up and the travellift backs out of the way...


    Her last glimpse of open water for awhile.


    Now to pack up the rigging for it's long journey alongside the boat.


    One last walk around and she's bound for Portland, OR!