June 2012: More Pilothouse Destruction

01_before

    "Before" photo from the summer of 2011, after seeing below the reader will appreciate what a good job fiberglass laminate does at hiding problems with the wood inside. We had a good idea of the extent of core rotting when we went into this project but it would be easy to have no idea!

03_teak_king_s

    King Teak. Whatever species of wood made up this filler was able to be scraped away with no effort. From the looks of the Port side post I would guess it's some kind of mahogany. The Teak rabbet post behind it is rock solid.

04_separation_s

    Peek-a-boo! Fighting this crumbling assembly to come out in as few pieces as possible. We are going to school on the crumbly side so we can remove the intact side for use as a template.

05_supervision_s

    Our trusty supervisor keeps watch from his ranine throne

06_exterior_s

    A much different grade of plywood was used for the fwd and aft panels than for the port and stbd panels. The marine ply upon which this is resting shows almost no rot while the panel above is wasted away.

07_elevator_s

    Puppy elevator. Bruno has learned that his choices are to be in the house alone or endure the banging and vacuum cleaner in order to hang out with us.

09_out_s

    Coup de gras. We are on the way to one less rotten pilothouse.

10_hole_s

    The cabin is far more comfortable now that there is a crossflow. This is making us reconsider the case for more opening windows.

11_bung_puller_s

    Rachel, bunghole cleaner extraordinairre. Thanklessly she toils on the hundreds of screw bungs on our teak decks.

12_bungs_away_s

    Bravo, now to pry them all up and replace them!

13_look_ma_no_dust_s

    Look ma, no dust! Enjoying our new grinder dust hood. I don't even need to shower after an afternoon of grinding, this thing is worth it's weight in gold (and at $92 for 4 molded plastic pieces, a hose clamp and a ring of bristles that's pretty much the economy!)

14_screw_parade_s

    7" bolts hold the main traveller to the #3 pilothouse beam. Likely not going anywhere!

16_stripping_laminate_s

    The roof is screwed to the cambered beams and then laminated with glass. Here we have scored the laminate with an old circular saw blade so we can peel the laminate in strips and get at the screw heads below.

17_peel_away_s

    Peeling went pretty quickly. I don't know if I should be happy or worried at how easily the laminate came up. You can still see the original pencil lines used to square the scarfs and layout the screw grid.

19_beams_out_s

    Overhead beams marked and removed. These will get cleaned up and re-used for the new pilothouse. Each is milled teak from what must have been an 8 foot 12/4 plank about 9" wide. I shudder to think what it would cost to reproduce these.

20_bombs_away_s

    Flying saucer. Or it would have been if we didn't spend the evening coming up with a rigging system for carefully lowering this 10x12 roof to the ground.

21_daysailor_s

    One step closer to having a daysailor :o) No more ventilation problems!