January, 2013: Driveline

01_bonding_strap_s

    This boat was put together with an interesting bonding setup. There are two zincs on the wooden rudder that electrically go nowhere and one that is connected by dirty wire to the stern housing and both rudder gudgeons. Nothing on the rudder stock either. This photo shows the poorly adhered fiberglass patch that was fairing over the copper strap between stern housing and rudder gudgeons. Internal bonding was a messwork back and forth across the boat between thruhulls. We'll be simplifying this shortly.

02_cheater_bar_s

    If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar. Crankshaft pulley nut is installed with 240ft-lbs, seems it requires a great deal more to remove!

03_bigger_bar_s

    Big, bigger and biggest. Not sure how you would ever do this in a remote port. The bottom steel bar is the second holding fitting made for the pulley, the first one was a piece of scrap aluminum about 18" long and it not only bent itself but the 1/2" bolt it was jammed against to keep the pulley from turning. "Just use a strap wrench!". Yeah, right.

04_cutless_puller_s

    Scraps hobbled together to pull the cutless bearing out of the stern fitting. I should mention the stern fitting shown here is threaded onto a 2" bronze pipe that is cast into the deadwood area (steel/concrete in this boat). The four 1/2" bolts just keep it from rotating.

05_stern_tube_s

    Here's that giant bronze pipe. It's about 6 feet long and pops out just under the packing gland in the bilge. Sealing happens on the threads and on the ID of the fiberglass which is a tight fit to the stern fitting. I only include so much detail here to be of use to any other Taiwanese cruiser owners who may be as baffled as I was as to how to remove the fittings.

06_bilge_dweller_s

    Working on the packing gland. Believe it or not this was the most comfortable position to work on this vs reaching in through the cabin sole boards. We're putting a lot of effort into doing this part correctly because it will never be this easy to crawl around in the bilge again once the engine goes back.

07_stern_tube_s

    The business end of the packing gland and the other side of the bronze stern tube. Now you know.

08_little_dutch_boy_s

    Every time we have scrubbed down the hull anywhere int he forward part of the boat it fills up the under-vberth lockers and overflows onto the floor, with just a dribble of water coming along the bilge bottom. We finally found out why. This was a hard-to-take photo in the 3" of clearance under the cabin sole in the v-berth, about 6 inches farther in than my hand could reach. The piece of teak trim is holding up a giant pile of muck that is plugging this drain slot. This is likely what caused this section of cabin sole to rot as it filled up to the "ceiling" (sole bottom) with water and just sat there. Some creative fixturing with the shopvac cleaned this out and she drains now as intended. Another head scratcher solved.

09_deep_inside_s

    Rachel squeezes aft to do some paint prep in the lazarette. Now to wait for a 41 day.

10_bearings_s

    Delicious goop. Good looking crank bearings. This marks the official end of the engine exploration. From here on out we put in new wear parts, repaint all the pieces inside the house and put her back together.