Lucia Feb-May 2015

01_mast_step_s

    Not too many exciting photos this update, we've been doing a lot (a LOT) of menial tasks like sealing holes, sanding things flat, fitting curves, etc in preparation to put the pilothouse walls in. The walls themselves are finished, we are now getting the boat ready to receive them. This is a photo of the main mast step. The v-berth floor (installed above this) has always been spongy, it seems because the v-berth cabinets have nowhere to drain except into the edges of the plywood sub floor. Easy fix, just need to tear it out and replace.

02_mast_step_s

    All clean. Now to cut out the brace and go buy a 30lb hunk of teak to replace it.

03_painting_beams_s

    Exciting times here, these are the structural beams in the pilothouse getting their last coat of primer before the glossy paint. One step closer!

04_hydronic_s

    After much ado, here is our hydronic furnace installation. This puppy interfaces with electrical, cooling water supply and return, diesel supply and return and has a dry exhaust that has to be routed carefully. You can see the heat shield through the bulkhead in the lower right, the pipe itself will be wrapped with a silica blanket / lagging for most of it's length to the triple wall thruhull out the top of the transom.

05_steering_s

    Here's our finished and smooth-as-butter steering. The top quadrant is the pilothouse wheel and the (new) bottom quadrant is the cockpit wheel and hydraulic ram mount. Also out of the frame to the right is all new mounting hardware for the turning sheaves.

05a_steering_s

    Another view of the steering machinery. Note the heavy stainless flange upon which the turning blocks are mounted. This was the solution to the problem of the bolt patterns overlapping, both the binnacle and turning block bolts screw into threaded holes in this plate. It also serves as the worlds heaviest backing block for the binnacle installation. She's pretty rock solid now.

06_laz_bulkhead_s

    Companionway bulkhead is installed. This is a major milestone to being able to assemble the pilothouse. Before this could go in, every last project in the lazarette needed to be done so the water tank could go in on top of it all as it won't fit out the hole here. On the right you can see the LP locker behind where the galley counter will go, some other equipment will mount on the bulkhead to its left.

07_inwheel_s

    Here's a re-use of some of the cabinetry we took out of the galley when we tore it apart. The top "drawer" only tips out enough to store pencils and whatnot for those seeing it crash into the steering pegs. The bottom is a panel that comes off completely to access the new storage area we designed into the repair of this previously sealed up space behind the wheel.

08_otter_inlay_s

    The piece de resistance. This is Rachel's brainchild and was installed in place of the ugly chipped laminate with the fake teak pattern that was here. Now we have a sea otter, inlaid in rosewood and padauk with holly whiskers surrounded by genuine teak veneer and mirror coated with a bar-top epoxy.

09_bilge_s

    Now for the fun stuff! This tray holds the bilge pumps in their appropriate position in the deep bilge. We don't have very good access to this location as it's directly below the engine, which is below the salon. The tray is curved on the bottom to fit snugly and perfectly (we made the tray before putting the engine back in). The small bilge pump is the automated one and is the smallest and lowest pump possible in order to minimize the water that comes back down the line when it shuts off. The large pump is for clearing the bilge quickly after cleaning or taking on some water. We also have a 12" bronze navy pump with a giant pipe handle and a valve fitted to the raw water intake of the engine that also serves as a convenient flush point. Anyway, this frame will also be the base for the baking sheet like tray that holds the engine diaper. On her best of days our British diesel likes to lubricate everything around her.

10_deep_bilge_s

    Here's a quick shot of the deep bilge in question with our "muck pump" working hard. These days we're pumping out water with sawdust, grease and oil and will thus use a crusty old pump I had lying around and not the pumps we intend to keep the boat dry. We use the shopvac when it's really bad but then we have to carry the water down the ladder which sucks. It's really an odd predicament to have to find a good way empty water out of a tank (boat) that's 6 feet in the air.

11_cute_overload_s

    Mr. Pitiful. Bruno in his "cute overload" mode. Stop working on the boat guys and throw my alligator and I'll go get it. Then we'll do it again. Then feed me cheese.