Lucia September 2015 - April 2016

001_35_weeks_sailing_s_s

    Where have we been? No update since last September? Well in case you haven't heard, we had a baby in October of 2015. He's a joy and is enriching our life in many ways as you might expect, the boat refit has taken a back seat for awhile. Here's Rachel still up and at 'em at 35 weeks on S/V Amalthea

002_mama_papa_s_s

    It's a boy! Look at him, so tiny. This is the view from our killer recovery room at Legacy Emmanuel

003_boat_work_s_s

    He's been checking things out up on deck from time to time.

004_come_about_s_s

    He has taken to a life of sailing very well, never lets go of the wheel and loves pulling on rope.

005_galley_s

    OK back to the boat project. Here the galley cabinets have all been installed and the countertop blank is still acting mostly as a dust shield until the pilothouse roof goes on. The range is in the operating position, it will stow underneath the side deck when not in use.

006_deck_prep_s

    Here we are about halfway through grinding out the side decks for the pilothouse wall biax tabbing

007_beams_s

    Here we have the pilothouse roof beams installed and faired, ready to start working on the roof panels

009_port_deck_joint_s

    We had a good warm day in February and we layed up the house joints with the usual 4"/6"/8" triple layer of 12oz biax and a top layer of 6oz cloth for fairing through. The peelply greatly reduces the amount of work to feather the long joints fair later

011_scarfs_easyway_s

    We made most of the plywood scarfs for the piloyhouse with a power planer and hand plane. The roof is comprised of three 8' by 3.5' plywood panels and I just didn't have the patience. We rented a 16" timber saw and made a jig that we can screw the plywood panel to that holds the correct blade angle and supports the weight of the saw on a wooden strip. We make the cut in three passes, increasing depth by about 2" each time, then clean it up with a power plane until the plies are parallel and even.

012_roof_fitting_s

    William came up to inspect the trial fit of the panels before we glue them together

013_glueing_scarfs_s

    The completed roof panel weighs about 200lbs so we didn't want to have to haul it up with some complicated rope system. We just glued the scarfs on deck and got a few extra hands to slide it aft on top of the awaiting pilothouse beams. Here is the second (aft) scarf being glued. The beams are clamped on both sides to keep everything straight and the joint is clamped with screws through both pieces into a strongback.

014_test_fitting_hardware_s

    Here is a (dusty) test fit of all the hardware so that we can locate all of the thru-bolt holes and coreseal them before sheathing the roof. It will also guarantee the beams will be in the perfect place when we install the roof because the bedding compound will prevent us from making small adjustments to their position later.

015_mast_partners_s

    Side project to finish up the mainmast partners before we lose access to the v-berth for awhile. The new assembly shown here includes provisions for recessed lights and wire channels to make our life easy installing vberth lights both forward and aft of the main stick.

016_fasteners_s

    Proofing fit of all the fasteners and our last good opportunity to round the edges and fair all the transitions. Now we take it all apart again and put her back together with bedding on the beams and walls and epoxy in all the screw holes that penetrate plywood.

017_coresealing_s

    Here we are coresealing the thru-holes and also filling all the small fixturing holes we used to locate and clamp the scarfs, lift the panels, etc.

018_bedding_s

    Here is the roof assembly hoisted up on one side so that we can apply the bedding compound to the tops of all the beams. We don't want any voids in between the roof and the beams that will suck up water and hold it there until rot sets in. After we goop up the port side, we'll lower the port side and lift the stbd side and finish the job.

019_tabbing_s

    Skip ahead a few weeks here with no good photos, the roof is now permanently installed and has had a good coating of penetrating epoxy on the top side. This will prevent the final layup from being resin starved as an unpredictable amount of epoxy will soak into the different panels. It also gave us a first easy chance to fair the wood surface before bonding the cloth.

020_cloth_s

    It's like making a dress for the boat. She's ready for the dance. On the edges and corners we are using our usual 3 x 12oz biax cloth and for a sheathing we're using two lengths of 50" wide 10oz cloth, spliced on the centerline

021_faired_s

    Skip ahead another few weeks, here she is filled and faired and ready for paint when the decks are similarly prepped and the weather is right. This is the exciting part as this whole project has looked like a plywood city for the past few months and in just one day she'll look very much like a boat when the epoxy primer makes everything a consistent color and sheen.